MLB: Arizona Diamondbacks
While with the Arizona Republic for the summer, I attended more than 15 home games at Chase Field. I mainly wrote online sidebars, but had a longer feature on players and their gloves and assisted with the notebook.
- Diamondbacks Extra: Good mitt commands loyalty, even passion for Arizona Diamondbacks players (PDF version)
- Game sidebar: New York Mets’ Ike Davis solid in Arizona homecoming (PDF version)
- Game sidebar: Arizona Diamondbacks’ A.J. Pollock impresses against Los Angeles Dodgers (PDF version)
NFL: Arizona Cardinals
I attended Cards Fan Fest, assisted the beat writers at training camp and wrote short features on players as well as online sidebars. For the tablet, I compiled five off-the-field questions with some players and longer question-and-answer conversations with others.
- Kurt Warner: Arizona Cardinals need star players at all positions (PDF version)
- Arizona Cardinals safety Rashad Johnson enters camp as likely starter (PDF version)
- Charles Hawkins’ opportunity with the Arizona Cardinals worth the wait (PDF version)
NFL: Buffalo Bills
As the digital media and marketing intern during the team’s 2012 training camp I assisted with interviews for print stories and wrote scripts for the “Off the field” video segments with Bills players, which I occasionally also filmed. I worked with Hannah Buehler on most of these, including the Rookie Diaries with No. 1 pick Stephon Gilmore.
- Q & A with WR Derek Session
- Under Review with Derek Hagan (video) — film and script
- Rookie Diaries with Stephon Gilmore: No. 1 / No. 2 / No. 3 / No. 4
WNBA: Phoenix Mercury
When I covered the Mercury, I was the only Republic reporter at games and wrote the main story under tight deadlines. I broke the story that the Mercury fired their head coach Corey Gaines and also covered new coach Russ Pennell’s first game the next night.
- USA Today: Phoenix Mercury fire coach Corey Gaines — Breaking new story. Originally run on azcentral.com, picked up by USA Today
- Phoniex Mercury fire Corey Gaines, hire Russ Pennell as interim coach (PDF version) — Write-through later in the day after Pennell’s news conference
- Phoenix Mercury win in Russ Pennell’s debut as coach (PDF version)
NHL: Phoenix Coyotes
I attended the three-day developmental camp in July and wrote two player features.